Will a spray tan protect me from the sun?
NO. Although you may feel and look like you have a real tan, a sunless tan is only the temporary appearance of a tan and therefore provides your skin with no protection. Now that you have a sunless tan we recommend that you lather up with an SPF! and protect yourself from potentially harmful UV rays.
How do I get the best results?
- Bring dark, loose fitting clothing to wear after the tan is applied.
- If you’re waxing or shaving before tanning, make sure you do around 24 hours before your tan.
- The day before your tan you may give yourself a good all-over polish and apply plenty of moisturizer the night before to get your skin as silky as possible. The most common cause of a patchy tan is dry skin, so it’s crucial to moisturize problem areas the night before (wrists and hands, elbows, knees, ankles and feet).
- After you have the tan applied, try to avoid washing your hands for as long as possible in the development time. Try a hand sanitizer or wipes instead.
- Once your tan has been on for the required amount of time (we suggest a minimum of 6 to 8 hours) then you may shower off. The natural-looking golden color you’re after will stay with you for 5 to 12 days depending on your lifestyle and care of the tan.
- Avoid strenuous exercise or sweating during the development time (first 6 to 8 hours) before showering.
- Don’t exfoliate while you have your South Florida Spray Tan
- The hands and face will fade quicker than the rest of the body so ask your therapist about the products available to make your tan last longer.
- After your shower, pat towel on your skin instead of rubbing off the water.
- Don’t forget to moisturize to prolong the tan. The tan can last even longer – ask your therapist about our special ingredient moisturizer!
What is DHA?
DHA or Dihydroxyacetone is a simple carbohydrate often derived from plant sources. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of DHA as a cosmetic application for over 40 years.
How safe is it to tan with DHA?
It has been recommended by Skin Cancer Foundation, American Academy of Dermatology Association, Canadian Dermatology Association and the American Medical Association as an effective and healthy alternative to traditional UV tanning.
How long will the tan last?
Depending on the amount of DHA used and the formulation of the product, a sunless tan can last anywhere from 3 – 10 days, depending on your lifestyle. The artificial tan takes 6 – 12 hours to develop on the surface of the skin and will continue to darken over the course of 24 hours. Once the darkening effect has occurred, the tan will not sweat off or wash away with soap or water. It will fade accordingly. Swimming in a pool or ocean will make the tan fade faster as well as exfloliation of the skin.
Is South Florida Spray Tan safe to use during pregnancy?
DHA has been approved by the FDA as a safe and effective external skin colorant for over 30 years. DHA is only able to penetrate the top epidermis layer of the skin. However, if you are pregnant please consult your physician prior to treatment.
Will the bronzer come off on my clothing or sheets?
South Florida Spray Tan, Ultimate Tan solution is a drier spray than many solutions on the market today. There is a chance that the cosmetic bronzer on you, before your first shower can transfer to your clothes. To minimize the chance of the tint transferring to clothing, we recommend that you wear loose-fitting, darker clothes after your spray session. The cosmetic tint is water-soluble and will wash out of most fabrics. We recommend wearing cotton clothing before you wash off the bronzer. After the first shower and the DHA has developed – you can wear what ever you like!